Burton Upon Trent: St Modwen’s Church

StMod1

Located on Guild Street is the church of St Modwen. Occupying the site of the former Benedictine Abbey founded in 1002, the church overlooks the central market place in Burton. The former abbey was founded by the Mercian nobleman Wulfric Spot who upon his endowment, made the abbey one of the wealthiest monastic houses in the country at the time. The abbey served both the town members and monks until 1540 when the abbey was dissolved. The present church was built between 1719 and completed in 1726. The architect and builder brothers, William and Richard Smith, designed and built the church. Constructed of coursed ashlar, the building features semi circular headed windows and a west tower with balustrade and urns.

StMod4

Garden of Remembrance

The churchyard is spread on adjacent land from the church which was eventually closed for new burials in 1866 when a cemetery was opened. Part of the north side of the churchyard was converted into a garden of remembrance in 1952 for locals who had died in World War II.

StMod2

Many gravestones line a path leading from the north side to St Modwen. The church of St Modwen is Grade I Listed.

Advertisements

Burton Upon Trent: Friars Walk School

FWSch

Located on Friars Walk in Burton Upon Trent is the site of the school which replaced the 16th century Grammar school. An inscription on the building dates the school from 1834 which at the time, consisted of one classroom, a dwelling and a stable. The gabled brick building is situated next to the graveyard of the church of St Modwen.

FWSch2

The building was enlarged and improved in 1959 during which the main entrance was moved further to the left of the premises. Further redevelopment took place in 2005 with the support of the Architectural Heritage Fund. The building is of red brick and ashlar dressings with 19th century stone mullioned window casements.

FWSch1

The inscription above what was the main entrance bears the date 1834. Friars Walk School is Grade II Listed.