On display in the south aisle of the choir in Carlisle Cathedral is a replica of a 12th century sword. Similar in size, weight and design, the single handed cruciform sword was commonly used during the Middle Ages. Such arming swords were the standard military sword of the knight and descend from the swords from the Migration Period and the Vikings.
The sword is said to replicate one of the swords used to murder the 12th century Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Becket. The original sword is thought to have belonged to the Anglo Norman knight Sir Hugh de Morville, Lord of Westmorland, who was one of the murderers of Becket.
Located near to the present church of St George is the remains of Ticknall medieval church. The medieval church was originally built as a chapel dedicated to St Thomas Becket and was first mentioned in the early 13th century. Completely rebuilt in the 14th century followed by alterations in the 15th century, the chapel became the parish church by 1650. After falling into disrepair during the 19th century, permission was granted to build a larger church – the present church of St George which was built in 1842. The medieval church was blown up with gunpowder in 1841.
Some of the stone was reused in the building of the new church. There are surviving remains below ground with two fragments of the medieval structure above ground. The surviving walls are constructed of coursed, squared sandstone and ashlar with a surviving three light window with intersecting tracery.
The remains of the medieval tower and buttresses (above) with part of the west wall which retains the jamb and the first three voussoirs. The medieval church is Grade II Listed and a Scheduled Ancient Monument.