Ethelfleda, known as ‘The Lady of the Mercians’, was the daughter of Alfred the Great and sister of Edmund the Elder. Ethelfleda governed the Kingdom of Mercia from 913 – 918 AD leading attacks on the invading Danes. The statue of Ethelfleda was built for Tamworth’s Millenary Celebrations of 1913 marking the 1000th anniversary of when Ethelfleda freed Tamworth from the Danes and fortified the town.
The monument is the work of the sculptor Edward George Bramwell and was the design of the stonemason Henry Mitchell. The column and plinth are granite with the statue sculpted from ashlar stone. The capital of the column details relief Anglo-Saxon knot-work with the statue of Ethelfreda depicted in Anglo-Saxon dress holding an unsheathed sword in her right hand. The child depicted is Aethelstan, the nephew of Ethelfreda, who would later become king.
The pedestal consists of a circular base and bench supporting the inscribed octagonal base of a column decorated with a spiralling line. Unveiled by Earl and Countess Ferrers, the Ethelfleda monument is Grade II Listed.
Built in the 4th century BC, the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus (Bodrum, Turkey) was a tomb built for king Maussollos of Karia. Discovered in the north site of the site, the male (above) and female (below) statues were part of thirty six such figures which once stood between the Ionic columns of the peristyle of the Mausoleum. The male figure is thought likely to represent one of Maussollos’ Hekatomnid ancestors and is depicted wearing a himation (cloak) and a trochades sandal on his right foot.
The female figure is identified as Artemisia who was queen of Halicarnassus. Carved from Pentelic marble, the figure also wears a himation (cloak), high-soled sandals and a chiton (tunic). Both of the sculpted figures date to circa 350BC and are on display in the British Museum in London.
The ancient capital city of the Lycian Federation was Xanthos, now in modern day Turkey. The Nereid Monument was built for the Lycian ruler Erbinna with its name deriving from the sea nymph (Nereids) statues placed between the columns of the tomb. The reconstructed small Ionic temple dates to circa 400BC with the facade on display in the British Museum in London. A mixture of Greek and Lycian style and iconography, the monument features relief sculptures and friezes with a decorated architrave and pediment.
Located in Piazza Borsa stands the sculpted figure of Mario Del Monaco. Born in Florence in 1915, Monaco was a successful opera singer. Inaugurated in 2011, the bronze statue is the work of the artist and sculptor Elena Nettle.
Michelangelo Buonarroti 1475-1564
Michelangelo Buonarroti was an Italian painter, sculptor, architect and poet. More commonly known as Michelangelo, he became apprentice to the painter Domenico Ghirlandaio in 1488 and between 1508-1512, he painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. The sculpted figure of Michelangelo stands in a niche along the facade of the Uffizi Gallery and is the work of the 19th century sculptor Emilio Santarelli.
Francesco Redi 1626-1697
Francesco Redi was a 17th century Italian poet and physician who studied medicine and philosophy at the University of Pisa. Having succeeded his father as court physician to the Grand Duke of Tuscany, in 1655 Redi became a member of the Accademia della Crusca – The Academy of the Bran, which was founded in Florence in 1582 to maintain the purity of the Italian language. In 1668, Redi published Esperienze intorno alla generazione degl’insetti – Experiments on the Generation of Insects which is still regarded as highly influential work. The statue of Redi is the work of the 19th century Italian sculptor Pietro Costa and stands in a niche along the facade of the Uffizi Gallery.
Donato di Niccolò di Betto Bardi c1386- 1466
Donato di Niccolò di Betto Bardi, better known as Donatello, was a 14th century Italian sculptor. He was the son of a member of the Florentine Wool Combers Guild and studied the fabrication of metals and metallurgy becoming apprentice to the Florence metalsmith and sculptor, Lorenzo Ghiberti, in 1403. The statue of Donatello stands in a niche along the facade of the Uffizi Gallery and is the work of the 19th century Italian sculptor Girolamo Torrini.
In a niche along the facade of the former Boots shop on Cornhill stands the sculpted figure of King Edward I. The figure is the design of the 19th/20th century English Architect, Michael Vyne Treleavan. Treleavan designed many shops for Sir Jesse Boot (Boots the Chemist) and was the architect in charge of Boots Building and Shop fitting Department from 1900. The architectural sculpture dates to 1910.
In a niche on the facade of the former Boots shop on Cornhill stands the statue of King Edward VI. The sculpted figure, which dates to 1910, is the design of the English architect Michael Vyne Treleavan who was in charge of Boots Building and Shop fitting Department from 1900.
The rebuilding of the west front of Lichfield Cathedral was began shortly after 1285. The central doorway is richly decorated and features sculpted figures on the central pillar and sides of the porch. The west front remained unaltered and escaped damage during the Reformation of the 16th century. Many of the statues were damaged during the 17th century parliamentarian siege and occupation with a large number of medieval statues being removed during the mid 18th century.
The sculpted figures which remain in the porch are the work of the 19th century British sculptor Mary Grant. The statues date to the time of the Victorian restoration work of George Gilbert Scott with figures of Moses and Aaron on either side of the doorway. The central pillar has the figure of the Virgin Mary holding Jesus with the figure of St Mary Magdalene on the left.