TIcknall: Church of St George

StGeo3

The parish Church of St George in Ticknall was built in 1842 and was designed by the English architect Henry Isaac Stevens. The building is constructed of coursed squared sandstone and ashlar and is in the Perpendicular Gothic architectural style. The church features a battlemented west tower with an octagonal stone spire.

StGeo1

The chancel features a double chamfered arch and 19th century furnishings.

StGeo2

The nave roof features spindly hammer beam type beams with pointed arches. The Church of St George is Grade II Listed.

Advertisements

Ticknall: Stone Cross

TicknallCrossLocated in the churchyard of St George’s Church in Ticknall is a standing stone cross. Built in sandstone, the cross was moved from the village to the churchyard in the 18th century. The octagonal shaft stands upon circular steps and would most likely have been erected during the medieval period. Serving a variety of functions, the stone cross is surmounted by a square finial and has at some point been repaired with cement. The cross is Grade II Listed and a Scheduled Ancient Monument.