In the Piazza del Duomo (Cathedral Square) is Casa Dal Corno – Home from the Horn. Built in the 15th century, the Venetian Gothic building features windows with trilobate arches and has a five arch loggia.
Ceramic decoration adorns the window surrounds which have engaged corinthian pilasters. Fragments of the 15th century frescoes still remain on the facade.
Casa Dal Corno Loggia
Following the Venetian Wars and rule by the Carraresi, the city of Treviso was fortified in the late 14th century. A line of walls and ramparts were built to protect the city which were in part rebuilt the following century to guard against attack from the League of Cambrai.
The 15th century saw the addition of two gates to the city and widening of the city walls under the direction of the Italian architect Fra Giovanni Giocondo.
Construction of the fortifications ended in the early 16th century with the addition of a canal perimeter around the city.
The brick walls are decorated with Istria stone reliefs of shields and the winged Lion of St Mark – the symbol of Venetian rule.
Located in Narodni Trg (People’s Square) is the City Guard or “Gradska straza” as it is known by the locals. The Narodni Trg is the main square of the town, platae magna (large square), and is the centre of public life in Zadar. The foundations to municipal buildings were laid in the square during the early Middle Ages. During the Venetian reign in the 15th century, the church of St Peter and the Municipal Loggia which had been built here, were destroyed. Designed in the 16th century by the Venetian architect Michele Sanmicheli, the building is now home to a modern art gallery.
The building is of late Renaissance style having a large central clock tower and is surrounded by a stone wall with holes for cannons, both later additions. Michele Sanmicheli was a Mannerist architect and famed for his numerous military fortifications. Born in 1484 he travelled from 1537-1539 to Corfu, Crete and Dalmatia to design such fortifications.
The Square of Five Wells (Trg Pet Bunara) is located between the medieval city walls and the park named after Queen Jelena Madijevka. Built to withstand the Turkish sieges of the 16th century, the square features five ornamental wellheads from where the square acquired its name.
The venetians built a large drinking water cistern to supply the five wellheads. A remnant of the city’s defence system, the Captain’s Tower, is located on one corner of the square.
Connected with the remains of the medieval town wall and located at the corner of the Square of Five Wells, sits the Captain’s Tower (Kapetanova Kula) or Old Woman’s Tower (Bablja Kula). Dating from the 13th century, the pentagonal tower was built by the Venetians as part of its fortification system against Turkish attacks. The city was governed by by the city Duke and city Captain during the rule of the Venetians and Zadar was the only Dalmatian city where two people carried out these functions. To accommodate their administrators, the Venetians built palaces for them and the Captain’s Tower (above) is the only one of ten such towers still to exist.
Located to the east of the Old Town is the Port Gate (Lucka Vrata). Once the main entrance into the city, it was built in 1543 by the Venetian architect Michele Sanmicheli. Above the keystone of the arch is the monumental lion of St Mark, the coat of arms for the Venetian Republic. The keystone of the arch features a relief of St Grisogono on horseback, the coat of arms for the city of Zadar.
The Renaissance architecture of the Port Gate is the result of the fortification system in Zadar he was responsible for during the 16th century. From the beginning of the Venetian-Turkish war (1537-1540), Michele Sanmicheli was involved in the basic layout of a new Zadar fort, accommodation and Land Gate.