On display at Wollaton Hall is an oil painting of Piazza di Monte Cavallo in Rome. The canvas painting is an imitation of the same scene painted by the 18th century Italian painter Giovanni Antonio Canal, better known as Canaletto. In the foreground of the painting are two marble sculptures of Dioscuri (horse tamers) which once stood in front of the Thermae at the Baths of Constantine. Thermae Constantinianae was a public bathing complex located on Quirinal Hill in Rome which dates to the 4th century.
High up on the walls in the Great Hall at Wollaton Hall are the display of ‘Brown Bess’ flintlock muskets. Henry, the 6th Lord Middleton, became the commanding officer of the Loyal Wollaton, Lenton and Beeston Volunteer Infantry in 1804. Ready to deal with the invasion by Napoleon Bonaparte’s army, Lord Middleton armed the volunteers with these muskets. The same muskets were used by Lord Middleton’s personal regiment in 1831 during the Reform Bill riots and aided by some miners from his coal mines, were successful in the attack.